- Today’s comic by Matt Bors is Fetus rights:
- Georgia town requires everyone to own a gun: Exemptions are plentiful and the chief backer on the town council, which voted 5-0 for the ordinance, says it won’t be enforced.
- Michelle Shocked tries to explain herself to Piers Morgan:
Finally said, “no, I’m not homophobic,” but larger truth “lost” due to making things too simple. But she can’t quite explain what she meant or why she said it. Admits in reference to what she said about Prop 8, “I didn’t know what I was talking about.” Repeated she was “very much” sorry and upset that gay community upset. ”In no way do I disavow” them, just as she “in no way” disavows her religious community. Then, pressed again, said she supports gay marriage and full gay rights. Somewhere in there she complained that her manager once promoted her as gay after she rebuffed his advances.
- CBS sports chief stands behind broken-leg video ban. He says there are plenty of places on the Internet to view the break as it happens:
The chairman of CBS Sports had no regrets about banning further replays of Louisville basketball player Kevin Ware’s gruesome broken leg and says if anyone wants to watch it on the Internet, that’s fine with him.
CBS aired two quick replays Sunday from a wide enough distance for viewers to see the leg land awkwardly, but not any blood or bone. It hasn’t been shown since on CBS.
- In case you were worried about Bill’s bank account:
After all his huffing and puffing, Donald Trump has unsurprisingly withdrawn his $ 5 million lawsuit against Bill Maher. The Celebrity Apprentice host had his lawyers file the request for dismissal with prejudice in LA Superior Court on March 29. Trump, whose NBC show hit a season low last night, first filed the breach of contract suit back in early February against the HBO host. He said that Maher broke a written promise that he’d give $ 5 million to the charities of Trump’s choice if The Donald could prove he wasn’t “the spawn of his mother having sex with an orangutan.”
- Confusing call for gay men to be vaccinated over NYC meningitis scare gets explained.
- Surprise. “Greening” Arctic will accelerate global warming:
New research predicts that rising temperatures will lead to a massive “greening,” or increase in plant cover, in the Arctic. In a paper published on March 31 in Nature Climate Change, scientists reveal new models projecting that wooded areas in the Arctic could increase by as much as 50 percent over the next few decades. The researchers also show that this dramatic greening will accelerate climate warming at a rate greater than previously expected.
“Such widespread redistribution of Arctic vegetation would have impacts that reverberate through the global ecosystem,” said Richard Pearson, lead author on the paper and a research scientist at the American Museum of Natural History’s Center for Biodiversity and Conservation.
- Los Angeles synchronizes all 4,500 of its traffic signals:
Without synchronization, it takes an average of 20 minutes to drive five miles on Los Angeles streets; with synchronization, it has fallen to 17.2 minutes, the city says. And the average speed on the city’s streets is now 17.3 miles per hour, up from 15 m.p.h. without synchronized lights.
- They don’t call them “killer bees” for nothing.
Midday open thread
Posted by admin on April 2nd, 2013
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.