- Today’s comic is Gun safety with Harry Hollow Point by Matt Bors:
- It may be easier to count the people who weren’t on Twitter during the inauguration:
A sign that Twitter’s influence has swollen in the past four years, Twitter volume during Monday’s presidential Inauguration dwarfed the amount of activity during president’s first Inauguration. [...]
The peak moment on Monday came at 12:08 p.m. when President Barack Obama said “we cannot mistake absolutism for principle” and denounced “name calling as a substitute for debate.” That generated 27,795 tweets per minute.
The head of the Mon Valley Republican Committee in Pennsylvania is facing backlash from his local community after displaying an American flag upside down — a statement usually meant as a distress signal by soldiers in times of war — during President Obama’s second inauguration ceremony.
- Okay, 2016 presidential speculators, start your engines:
Amid all the pomp and circumstance of inauguration weekend, Vice President Joe Biden showed a few of his 2016 cards as he mingled with some constituencies that would be key if he decides to run for president.
- Also, please note, per Wonkette, that the official title for Joe Biden is now Old Handsome Joe Biden, God Love Him.
- Sounds more like a nightmare:
Gareth Morgan has a simple dream: a New Zealand free of cats. But the environmental advocate triggered a claws-out backlash Tuesday with his new anti-feline campaign.
Morgan called on his countrymen Tuesday to make their current cat their last in order to save the nation’s unique native birds. He set up a website, called Cats To Go, depicting a tiny kitten with red devil’s horns. The opening line: “That little ball of fluff you own is a natural born killer.”
- These are the 10 worst cars sold in America.
- Here’s a post written as I suffered what turned out to be a massive widow-maker heart attack, the kind where you can be deader than fried chicken before you hit the ground. After exhaustive testing, here’s our best working theory as to how I survived it virtually unscathed with zero damage.—DarkSyde
On today’s Kagro in the Morning show, Greg Dworkin on the major themes of the President’s speech, 40th anniversary of Roe, and the arc of history. “Gun Appreciation Day” was marked by Americans shooting themselves & others at gun shows, and 90+ elsewhere appreciated guns in ways that killed, injured or just plain scared their fellow Americans. At least 34 died & 65 were wounded in 34 states & DC. Armando called to discuss reports that Reid may be backing away from some filibuster reform proposals. Might others just as powerful be under consideration?
Midday open thread
Posted by admin on January 22nd, 2013
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.