- Today’s comic is The God-Man youtube video! by Ruben Bolling:
- Registering to vote just got easier. With this little widget, you can fill out a registration form, print it off and mail it in … or, if you’re lucky enough to be in a state where you can register online, it will take you directly to your Secretary of State’s website. Do it now! And share it with family and friends. Remember, as Rep. John Lewis said, voting is “the most powerful, nonviolent tool we have to create a more perfect union.”
- One year ago today:
Today, the discriminatory law known as ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ is finally and formally repealed. As of today, patriotic Americans in uniform will no longer have to lie about who they are in order to serve the country they love. As of today, our armed forces will no longer lose the extraordinary skills and combat experience of so many gay and lesbian service members. And today, as Commander in Chief, I want those who were discharged under this law to know that your country deeply values your service.
- Post-racial America, huh?
The resident, a Republican, lynched an empty chair from a tree in his yard, which one can easily interpret to represent a racially motivated act of violence against the President. [...]
I called the homeowner to ask about his display, citing my concerns as a fellow Austinite. He replied, and I quote, “I don’t really give a damn whether it disturbs you or not. You can take [your concerns] and go straight to hell and take Obama with you. I don’t give a shit. If you don’t like it, don’t come down my street.”
Ironically, the homeowner in question, Bud Johnson, won “Yard of the Month” in August 2010 from his Homeowners Association.
- What’s the matter, Chick-fil-A? Chicken?
A Chicago advocacy group says that the restaurant Chick-fil-A has promised to back away from funding socially conservative groups that have pressed to limit marriage to one man and one woman.
The apparent decision by the chain’s WinShape Foundation would mark a retreat from the summer’s culture war pitting advocates of marriage equality against conservative claims that the chain was under assault for simple free speech.
The University of California, Davis police officers who doused students and alumni with pepper spray during a campus protest last November won’t face criminal charges, prosecutors said Wednesday. [...]
But the Yolo County District Attorney’s office said in a statement that there was insufficient evidence to prove the use of force was illegal.
- Want to learn about democracy? Watch The West Wing, just like the Burmese politicians do.
- Payback sure is a bitch:
They may be a far cry from their Western counterparts fighting for the acceptance to breast-feed — or go topless — in public, but two girls clobbered a cleric recently in a small town in Iran when he admonished one of them to cover herself more completely.
The cleric said he asked “politely,” but the girl’s angry reaction and some pugilistic double-teaming with her friend landed the holy man in the hospital, according to an account Monday in the semiofficial Mehr News Agency.
- No, not that Adam Sandler:
A man with a history of shouting anti-Semitic rants while dressed as Elmo at popular tourist destinations was arrested in his red costume in Times Square on Tuesday.
The man, Adam Sandler, 48, who in June was removed from Central Park in an ambulance after going on a rant, was arrested in front of the Toys “R” Us store in Times Square shortly after 3 p.m., the police said.
Is there anything wrong with delaying sexual activity? Certainly not. There are plenty of reasons to do that. If your reason is “Jesus will think I’m a slut,” of course, that’s problematic. Or is it? Take Fox News abstinence columnist (yes, that’s a thing) Steven Crowder–who is himself abstinent no more. Having patiently and virtuously saved himself for marriage, Crowder now has become an honest-to-God husband, complete with a beautiful, meaningful wedding night full of the best sex he’s had in his entire life. And that makes him better than you.
- A giant bonanza of polls for today’s Kagro in the Morning polling & punditry roundup with Greg Dworkin. Camp Romney kept the 47% flame alive with its bizarre claims about editing, context, and “debunking,” so yeah, we went there again. The UC Davis Pepper Spray cop got a pass from the DA, so we dove in on the militarized police and “non-lethal” weaponry. Oh, and Senate Republicans charge that if it wasn’t for the Constitution, they’d totally nail Harry Reid. Stupid Constitution! Repeal Article I!
Midday open thread
Posted by admin on September 20th, 2012
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.