- Today’s comic is Why Romney doesn’t want us to see his tax returns by Ruben Bolling:
- Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, badass:
She fell on June 4. She went to work the next day but continued to be in pain. She turned to the Office of the Attending Physician, which provides medical care to members of Congress and the justices, said court Public Information Officer Kathy Arberg.
Ginsburg discovered she had fractured two ribs, which would only heal with time. Ginsburg “followed her schedule as usual,” Arberg said on Wednesday. “She indeed did not skip a beat and did not feel it rose to a serious health concern.”
- Iraq. Iran. Whatever.
- While Democrats are officially adding marriage equality to the party platform, Republicans are evolving at a slightly slower pace:
R. Clarke Cooper, executive director of Log Cabin Republicans, said Tuesday a team from his organization will be credentialed to attend the platform committee meeting, which will take place the week of Aug. 20 in Tampa, Fla., prior to the start of the convention. [...]
Gary Howard, a spokesperson for the Republican National Committee, confirmed Log Cabin’s involvement in the platform process, but also said other organizations, including social conservative groups, will take part.
“As has been the practice in previous years, the Platform Committee Staff maintains an open door policy and welcomes input and suggestions from outside groups,” Howard said. “This year the staff has heard from hundreds of different groups as they presented their views on the Platform, this includes suggestions submitted by the public at-large at the gopplatform2012.com website. The Log Cabin Republicans reached out to the RNC to share their ideas as well. Additionally, the Platform Staff hosted meetings with dozens of social conservative groups to emphasize the importance of keeping the GOP’s commitment to traditional marriage.”
- The free market’s a bitch, eh, teabaggers?
Two years after the Franklin-based Tea Party Nation organization failed to lure tea party activists to a rally in Las Vegas, a judge is ordering the group to pay the bill for a slew of hotel rooms booked for the event.
- Just sayin’:
- DemFromCT and Armando both analyze our own Daily Kos/SEIU State of the Nation poll results on public opinion of the political media. Plus, a dissection of a piece in The Hill lamenting the withering of the Blue Dogs. No wonder people hate the political media! Check out today’s podcast here.
- This is the most disgusting thing you will read all day:
For secretary of state, most advisors interviewed for this article said that Sen. Joe Lieberman (I-CT) is under serious consideration at the top levels of the [Romney] campaign. An “independent Democrat,” Lieberman, who hasn’t endorsed any presidential candidate this cycle, was almost chosen by Sen. John McCain to run as vice president on his 2008 ticket. Lieberman will be unemployed in January when he retires after 24 years in the Senate. He has spent much of that time developing close relationships with foreign leaders all over the world, and he is a strong supporter of Israel, a major focus of Romney’s critique of Obama. By choosing him, Romney could show bipartisanship while handing the reins in Foggy Bottom to someone with international stature and whose foreign-policy views are more hawkish than many Republicans.
- Oooh, boy, disgraced former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich really did consider all options when he was trying to auction off Barack Obama’s Senate seat:
Among the other things secretly recorded by the FBI: “that Blagojevich mentioned naming Oscar-winning actress Halle Berry to Obama’s vacant Senate seat so he could ‘have a shot’ at having sex with her.”
Wonder how that worked out with Roland Burris.
Midday open thread
Posted by admin on August 9th, 2012
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.