- What’s coming up on Sunday Kos …
- Austerity, bullies and broken spirits, by Georgia Logothetis
- 40 years of Title IX, by Joan McCarter
- The states to watch in November—an update, by Steve Singiser
- Misogynistic Minister preaching patriarchy, by Denise Oliver Velez
- Occupy and the Constitution Part 2, by Armando
- California elections: what to watch for, by Dante Atkins
- President Obama lays down the gauntlet on marriage equality, by Laurence Lewis
- No-Fly List inclusion of 15 Muslim Americans being contested in federal court today:
The plaintiffs, who are U.S. citizens or permanent legal residents, said they learned they were on the list when prohibited, without advance warning, from boarding a commercial airliner, and were later denied any means of petitioning the government to be removed from the roster.
“The government has created this secret list, and the people on the list have no way of defending themselves,” said Nusrat Choudhury, a lawyer for the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), who is representing the group, which filed a lawsuit against the U.S. government in June 2010.
- As budget surplus. Just one month’s worth at $ 59 billion against a deficit of $ 1.2 trillion, but it’s a good omen.
- Say what? A championship baseball game was forfeited so Catholic school could maintain its antediluvian code:
The Arizona Charter Athletic Association state championship baseball game wasn’t played Thursday night because Mesa Prep’s second baseman is a girl.
Paige Sultzbach, a freshman, is playing baseball because her high school doesn’t offer girls softball. But the school Mesa Prep was to face in the final, Our Lady of Sorrows Academy, said its boys would not compete against a team with a girl and forfeited the game — and the state title — to Mesa Prep.
“As a Catholic school, we promote the ideal of forming and educating boys and girls separately during the adolescent years, especially in physical education,” Our Lady of Sorrows said in a statement [...]
Forfeit? How about kicking Lady of Sorrows Academy out of all ACAA games?
- “Santino” the chimpanzee carefully plans hits on humans from his enclosure at the Furuvik Zoo in Sweden. He has always thrown stones at visitors who irked him. But he’s become wily about it:
“After a visitor group had left the compound area, Santino went inside the enclosure and brought a good-sized heap of hay that he placed near the visitor’s section, and immediately after that he put stones under it,” [Researcher Mathias] Osvath said.
“He also appeared to have placed projectiles behind, just before he went in after the hay. After this, he sat down beside the hay and waited. When the visitors came back, he waited until they were close by and, without any preceding display, he threw stones at the crowd.”
- You can help the Bullies 4 Romney build their own Tumblr site.
- Prayer day banned in Colorado:
When the state sponsors the religious practice of prayer, the three-judge panel found, it sends a message that those who pray are favored members of Colorado’s political community.
“In doing so, they undermine the premise that the government serves believers and nonbelievers equally,” Judge Steven Bernard wrote in a 73-page decision.
- Ta-Nehisi Coates plants a foot squarely on Florida Rep. Allen West’s ass.
- James Inhofe, the Republican Senator from Oklahoma who spends taxpayer money saying global warming is a hoax, has what David Roberts says may be his worst idea ever: requiring Senate confirmation of all 10 regional administrators of the Environmental Protection Agency.
- The Guardian has posted an excellent interactive chart on the status of gay rights catalogued state by state.