From the GREAT STATE OF MAINE…
10 9 8 7 6 5 Weeks to Netroots Nation
The countdown to the Netroots Nation convention in Providence continues: 35 days and a rapidly-diminishing number of hours, minutes and seconds to go. (Look—we’re even on the convention center calendar!) Here’s your weekly dose of info. If you write for another blog, feel free to catapult this info so we can get the word out to as many people as possible. The more the merrier, I say. (I also say that about orgies, bottles of beer on the wall and waffles.)
- Volunteers are needed to make everything run smoothly at the convention. Mary Rickles is putting out the call for a few good men and women:
Want to attend Netroots Nation but are short on cash for the registration fee? We have a limited number of volunteer scholarships available for those willing to commit to four hours a day of volunteer time during the conference. If you think you have what it takes to be a contributing member of our volunteer team, email Shanna at email@example.com and request an application.
Besides helping to make the convention run smoothly, spending some time as a volunteer is a great way to meet people, especially if it’s your first time at Netroots Nation. Deadline to apply for a volunteer position is next Friday, May 11.
- Did you know that Rhode Island is famous for its hot wieners? Or, as they’re better known: “hangover helper.” I mainly wrote that because I wanted to be the first person to write “hot wieners” on the front page of Daily Kos. It’s a bucket list thing.
- The discounted block of hotel rooms is still SOLD OUT…but Nolan Treadway says that, “The Biltmore may have extra rooms in their block, but it is touch and go (as other reservations cancel). There are still rooms available at the non-discounted rate. More details on the hotel situation here.
- Panels, now with dates and times are here.
- The next live NN12 panel preview via Spreecast is today at 12 noon ET. Joanne Bamberger of PunditMom and Anita Jackson of MomsRising will preview the panel called Women Rule: Keys for Social Media and Electoral Success. Click here to sign up for updates on future Spreecasts.
- Netroots for the Troops still needs donations to make its goal so it can procure the items we’ll be putting into the care packages at Netroots Nation and sending to our troops in remote combat areas overseas and VA hospitals here at home. The donation link is here. If you’re convention-bound, we hope you’ll join us on box-packing day—June 9th.
- To register for the convention, click here.
- To stay in the loop, get on the email list and follow NN12 on Facebook and twitter.
Oh, and one more quick thing. Last friday we popped down to Providence and scoped out the location for the C&J dinner. (Details soon—space is limited this year so we don’t have a repeat of last year’s famous Hell’s Kitchen riot that resulted in so much torn-up concrete and upended
cars buses.) Providence has a smaller-city feel than previous NN locations, and its historic New England vibe will suck you in like coffee milk through a straw. Plus the convention center’s right next to the mall. Awesome.
Meanwhile, Cheers and Jeers starts below the fold… [Swoosh!!] RIGHTNOW! [Gong!!]