From the GREAT STATE OF MAINE…
Little Gay Billy’s BIG Gay Newsapalooza!
- Recapping: Marriage equality was approved within the first two months of this year by legislatures in New Jersey, Washington and Maryland. New Jersey’s got vetoed by the governor despite 57% public approval for it. All three face possible citizen referendums.
- Maine has a voter referendum in November that would let same-sex couples apply for marriage licenses. Unlike the previous 2009 referendum, the Catholic church is staying out of this year’s rematch. That’s good.
- If you missed Saturday’s live all-star (Clooney! Pitt! Sheen! Lynch! Takei!) performance of “8″—featuring excerpts from the Prop. 8 trial transcripts—you can watch it here. Really well done.
- President Obama is in North Carolina today, and all equality-minded ears will be listening for him to say the magic words: “On May 8, Vote ‘No’ on One.” You can do it!
- Memo to Kirk Cameron: I’d rather be an honest agnostic gay man like me than a lying Christian straight man like you any day. If your life is so hollow that you feel you have to lie about gay people destroying “many of the foundations of civilization,” while simultaneously claiming you “love all people,” you need professional help, buddy. But since you started it, let me reciprocate with equal love by saying: The Cosby Show kicked your ass.
- Never thought I’d see the NHL reaching out to GLBT kids, so color me pleasantly surprised by their “You Can Play” PSA.
- The Department of Justice filed a lawsuit against Minnesota’s Anoka-Hennepin school district over harassment of GLBT students, and announced an “extensive settlement.” That’s in Michele Bachmann’s district, by the way. Naturally she hasn’t lifted a finger or said a word to stop the harassment.
- The United Nations is wondering if the world can agree that, if it’s not too much trouble, perhaps GLBT human beings can at least have a right to not be killed. The answer is, of course, no. Because assholes with power and shit for brains still roam the earth.
- Happy 20th birthday to Servicemembers Legal Defense Network. You don’t look a day over 15.
Never a dull moment. Meanwhile, Cheers and Jeers starts below the fold… [Swoosh!!] RIGHTNOW! [Gong!!]